Pulses include beans, lentils and peas. They're full of nutrients (particularly iron), high in protein, high in fibre and count towards 1 of your 5 A Day.
They're also super versatile. To prove it, we'll be releasing a series of recipes on our website and over our social media channels to show you how.
In this recipe, we're using chickpeas. Chickpeas are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fibre. They also offer a variety of health benefits, like improving digestion and aiding weight management. Also, a pro tip: the water that they come in can be used as an egg white substitute. So when you drain them, make sure you retain it.
For us, food is a great spirit lifter. It's an opportunity to slow down or stop and refuel...the tastier, and more nutritious, the better!
So Lift Your Mood With Food!
Indian Spiced Chickpeas
For this recipe, you will need:
(Serves 2, total time 15 mins with prep)
- 400g tin of chickpeas: drained
- 1 Yellow pepper: diced
- 1 Spring onion: sliced
- Fresh parsley: roughly chopped (keep a pinch aside for serving)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon of ground tumeric
- Dried chili: chopped
- 1 Garlic clove: crushed
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- 500ml Boiling water
- 2 Fresh tomatoes: 1 diced, 1 cut into quarter wedges
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
To make this delicious dish, you will need to:
1. Make up your vegetable stock as per the instructions (usually one cube to 500ml of boiling water) and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
4. Add the peppers, spring onions, garlic and chilli.
5. Fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
6. Add the diced tomatoes, most of the parsley and spices.
7. Fry for a few minutes.
8. Add the stock.
9. Simmer for 3 minutes.
10. Add chickpeas and make your poached egg(s).
1. Add water to a saucepan and boil.
2. Add a squirt of vinegar (malt or white wine) to the water.
3. Gently stir with a spoon to create a mini whirlpool!
4. Gently add one egg at a time and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Serve chickpeas and add poached egg and wedged tomatoes, scatter over some remaining fresh parsley.